Pafra's story started in Hackney, East London, with Max Kochmann and Paul Frankfurther founding the company in 1959. Recognised as pioneers in the adhesives industry they are responsible for some of the biggest advances in our field with Max inventing the first self-clearing ball valve applicator and Paul inventing the first triacetin-plasticised PVA adhesive. Sadly Paul suffered ill health soon after the company was established and it was left to Max to develop and grow the business.
With operations quickly outgrowing their premises in Hackney, Pafra moved to a larger factory in Basildon, Essex in 1963. Further continued growth resulted in the decision to build a purpose built factory which was completed in 1968. Further expansion and development on the site has meant that this still remains the home of Pafra today.
As Max’s reputation in the industry grew he was heavily involved with the British Adhesives Manufacturers Association (BAMA) and in 1983 was a founder member of the British Adhesives and Sealants Association (BASA) when BAMA merged with the Sealant Manufacturers Conference. For his services to the industry Max was appointed Life President of BASA and in 2005, in his memory, the Max Kochmann Award was created and to this day is awarded annually for services to the association by a company or individual.
The business continues to grow organically through developments and keeping at the forefront of technology. In more recent years acquisitions of Adhesives International Ltd and ATS Adhesives Ltd have expanded the company’s portfolio and probably have the widest range of adhesive products in the UK.
The business is still owned by the Kochmann family and we still innovate with our customers. We are proud of our heritage and hold the philosophy of our founders in high regard as we continue to be one of the industry leaders.